Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 3 - Shopping for all needful things

Before her visit, I kept telling Dana about the amazing Pewter Store and how I would take her and she would be gobsmacked. Boy, was I right. Behind this simple door in a residential area in Mexico City is a former house that has been transformed into a showcase of beautiful pewterware. Though I had been only the week before, I still managed to buy a boatload of things, including this Icon picture frame in the which I replaced Mary with Dana.
Next I took Dana to another shopping Mecca here in the DF, a must-see for all tourists, the Mercado de la Ciudadela -- the citadel market. All of your touristy needs can be met here, and indeed they were.
On Day 1, after we were unwinding from our religious pilgrimages, both pagan and Christian, I lamented that I did not buy a fairly gaudy strobe light Virgin Mary that I had seen at the Basilica. In fact, we had skipped the religious market to avoid the crowd and the loud music. Dana and I imagined all of the wonders of kitchy religious art that we might have found there, including a light-up shrine. On this day, Day 3, we looked over the Ciudadela for something to assuage our longing for Marian kitch, but nothing was really tacky/holy enough.

When we left the Ciudadela, we decided spur of the moment to return to the Basilica to seek out that perfect souvenir.

We had also been on this weird quest to photograph nuns. Surprisingly, nuns were fairly difficult to find at this most holy pilgrimage site.
We re-shot our photos on the moving sidewalks at the Icon.

Oh yeah, and we found the most awesome light up shrines (about 7 inches tall). It was completely worth the second trip.

1 comment:

  1. Boy would I love the pewter place. Cute jeans. Love the Pope-mobile. I love all the bright colors there....including your hair (as usual). Maybe one day I will have the guts to henna my hair in Egypt.

    PS I love that Dana visits you everywhere you go. Will she be my friend too?

    ReplyDelete