Saturday, April 23, 2011

Market Day

At the Ciudadela



The a few blocks down to El Mercado de San Juan



This market is famous for carrying a wide assortment of exotic things in addition to the fabulous tipical Mexican stuff. They had worms and grasshoppers.
Beetles (of which I ate one)
And finally, they had escamoles -- ant larva. I've been wanting to try ant larva since we arrived. It's often called Mexican Caviar and everyone who has had it says that it is actually quite tasty. So, though I didn't really want to cook it myself, this was my best option, and the vender told me how to prepare this little delicacy.


Roast pork with (oh so scrumptious) mole sauce, rice and fried plantains, and escamole tacos. Everyone liked them, though we all agreed we'd never want to eat them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment